How big is your dream?

Really? “I have a dream” is 50 years old?

Can it actually be true that Martin Luther King’s famous speech is now aged 50 plus? August 28, 1968, was indeed more than five decades ago.

Now obviously, different people today have different views on what will successfully lead to the fulfillment of Dr. King’s dream. I’m not here to decide among those views. But in spite of the differences, last Monday was a day to remember the dream.

We haven’t achieved the dream. And based on what we read in Scripture, it will not be fulfilled in this fallen world. While we may not achieve the dream in our lifetimes, the experience of reconciliation through God’s people remains a worthy goal. As believers, our failure in this area is tragic. Every step forward toward reconciliation is worth taking.

For my money, King’s dream is a faint foreshadowing of something greater. As in Jesus’ prayer: “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

The Apostle John describes that something greater in Revelation 7:9-10: “After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, for every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice:

“Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.”

I just heard a great insight about dreams.

As part of a celebration of Martin Luther King Day, Jerry Sheveland, President of Converge Worldwide, pointed to Joel 2:28-32. This passage is quoted in Acts 2:17-21.

“In the last days, God says, ‘I will pour out my Spirit on all people.

“Your sons and daughters will prophesy,

“Your young men will see visions,

“You old men will dream dreams.”

Then President Sheveland said something I found very challenging. It’s not surprising to find young people dreaming dreams. But old people dreaming dreams? This is rare. Why?

Old people rarely dream because “most people outlive their dreams, and they replace their dreams with more manageable plans.”

Wow. Busted!

How big is your dream?

We all face a problem: there are always people around to stomp on our dreams. Which is why young people often have dreams, but old people often don’t.

If you don’t have a dream that’s bigger than you … your personal interests … your pet issues … you will outlive your dream.

Martin Luther King’s dream was big.

Do you have the courage to ask God to give you a dream that’s bigger than you?